Saturday, June 30, 2012

June 30, 2012

Big Helper!
Alyson's Exciting Events of the Day:

 
  • I slept well last night, though I don't think Mommy or Daddy did. Daddy was only in bed for about three hours, then went right back to work on getting camp ready for next week's campers.
  • After I woke up, Mommy and I got ready and went up the hill to the office. Things looked very different today. The road up to the office was covered in tree limbs and leaves and there were downed trees all the way up the hill on both sides of the road. Mommy didn't even drive all the way to the top of the hill because she knew we wouldn't be able to drive though the parking lot, so she put me in my stroller and we walked the rest of the way up. She warned me that I would not be able to run around up there like I have been because it is dangerous (whatever that means). There were some strange wires laying across the parking lot and everyone kept walking around them. No one could drive over them. Mommy and I walked around and we saw more and more trees down, near the dining hall, trading post, and the nature trail was completely covered with many trees. I could hear chainsaws in the distance and everyone kept asking what else they could do to help. Daddy has a great staff working with him this year. He should be proud!
  • After touring part of the camp to survey the damage, Mommy and I packed our things and picked up Kendall and headed home. Mommy said something about worrying about having enough gas to get home. I'm not sure why she was worried... there are dozens of gas stations on the way. As we drove though, I noticed that none of the gas stations were open. When we did finally see a gas station that was working, there were at least 20 cars in line to get gas, so Mommy kept driving. Finally, near Seneca Rocks, we stopped and were only the 6th car in line and were able to fill up with gas, but then we couldn't find any place to stop to eat since all of the restaurants were closed too. We didn't find a town with power (besides generators) until Wardensville (over 100 miles).
  • We finally stopped to eat in Winchester (nearly home). After a quick lunch we took Kendall home and then went to our house. Other than a few limbs at home and having no power, we were in good shape. I immediately played with my toys. I rode my plane, my bus, and even rocked on my rocking horse.... and hugged Gemma, of course. I was so happy to be home!
  • I wanted "manas" (bananas), so Mommy and I went to the store to get a couple of things. When we returned home and were packing a few things into coolers, the power came back on... Mommy was so happy!
  • Mommy had already decided to go to Carol's in-laws house for dinner and to escape the hot house, so we went anyway to give the AC time to cool the house a bit. We had yummy pizza and I also had a bite of a cupcake and animal crackers. I loved playing with Daisy, and Chip!
  • It felt great to have a bath and get back to my normal nighttime routine. It's good to be home!
Is there a nature trail under there?
Nature's fury!




In line for gasoline

No comments:

Post a Comment